The Book Club meets at 10 a.m. on the 1st Tuesday of the month. Check the calendar for upcoming Book Club titles.
Adults interested in enrolling as learners or volunteering as tutors may call the Adult Literacy Program office at 951-922-5816.
Learners will be invited to come in for a basic placement assessment followed by an interview to gather additional information so that staff can prepare an individual learning plan.
Adult Learners entering the program are:
- English speaking
- At least 16 years old and not in a regular high school (continuation schools and adult education students are eligible)
- Women and men from diverse backgrounds
- Seeking better skills for their job futures
- Wanting to help their children succeed in school
- Often able to do some reading and writing, but not enough to participate effectively in today's rapidly changing world
Materials, workbooks, and supplies used by tutors are made available by the program. Tutors are also provided with opportunities to attend local and regional workshops and conferences as they become available.
Successful volunteer tutors:
- Read and write comfortably in English
- Are at least 21 years old
- Need no previous teaching experience
- Are stable, mature women and men
- Have good listening skills and a great sense of humor
- Are flexible and nonjudgmental
- Have basic computer skills
- Are able to learn and use a variety of teaching methods, including computer assisted instruction (training is provided)
- Have patience and empathy
- Be willing to try new things
Each adult learner is unique and no two tutor/student pair is alike. Following are just a few examples of successful outcomes for adult learners:
- Earned a GED
- Got a job for the very first time
- Read to his child for the first time
- Entered community college
- Wrote a letter to a long-lost relative
- Wrote a poem to a spouse
- Discovered reading glasses were key
- Requested and got a promotion
- Entered a college teaching program
Veterans Resource Center
The Veterans Resource Center, staffed by volunteers, is dedicated to helping veterans and their families connect with the benefits they have earned through their years of service and sacrifice.
We are available to assist you by appointment only. Call (951) 845-1357 to schedule a time to meet with one of our volunteers.
We are also available via email at
For more information, please visit our veterans resource webpage by clicking here.